Connect with us!

A Pain in the Neck

• 08 Apr 2015 8:43 AM
    Reply # 3287046 on 3279173

If you've been working with Bike Doctor, but haven't gotten on their Guru fit machine, I'd definitely recommend that. It's a very comprehensive system that includes measurement or your body and progressive adjustment of riding position. I've been lucky to have not had much pain from riding, but the bike fit has made a difference in comfort and power transfer.

• 06 Apr 2015 1:30 AM
    Reply # 3282757 on 3279173
    Thanks Chris. I purchased my bike from the Bike Doctor and I've been back several times changing different things. We just can't seem to find the one thing that is causing the issue. I've had the neck problems for years and unfortunately biking seems to be the newest thing that aggravates the problem. I'm currently talking with my pain management doctor about it as well. Eventually I will find the answer. Still not giving up.
  • 02 Apr 2015 8:20 PM
    Reply # 3280559 on 3279173

Hi Joel,

I too have severe back pain, but in my lower back due to some herniated discs.  Mine has mostly subsided since I started bicycling regularly (4-6 rides a week).  I find that if I keep with a regular regimen of workouts the pain stays away, and if I take a hiatus, the pain returns, especially if I take a few weeks off.  I have also had issues with pain when adjusting my bicycling position, even the tiniest bit.  Just a stem change will send me into weeks of discomfort until my body adjusts to the new position, which can be quite frustrating.  For you, not having yet found the perfect position, I would highly recommend a professional bike fit.  I've had very good results @ Bike Doctor in Frederick.  They should be able to account for the type of pain that you are experiencing into the bike fit to help address the situation.  Best of luck to ya, don't get discouraged, there is a perfect position.  You just need to find it!

• 01 Apr 2015 5:44 PM
    Message # 3279173

Greetings all. Does anybody else have issues with recurring pain in the shoulders, neck, and back of the head areas while riding? I just started riding in June of 2014 and have been continuously adjusting my fit to find the "right spot". I am sitting up at more than a 45o angle now and feel that I am coming close to defeating the purpose of having a road bike the more straight up I sit. I have changed out my stem twice to try affecting the angle, bringing the handle bars up higher. Does anybody have any thoughts on ideas that can alleviate the problem beforehand or fix the damage after it occurs? I usually have a sore/stiff neck for several days after riding just a half an hour or so and riding multiple days in a row just compounds the issue causing headaches. A wise person recommended stretching before, during, and after the ride and that time would help strengthen the muscles around these areas. Thank you kind sir. Any additional suggestions would be greatly welcome. Happy riding.

Address: P.O. Box 1358, Charles Town, WV 25414

Email: panhandlepedalers@gmail.com